Sunday, September 25, 2016

Elderly Lady Who Does Not Speak Starts Singing Elvis Songs

Before I became an Administrator for Psalms Home Care Consulting and Psalms Senior Care Homes, I had a very impressive title, an important job, my own office in a corner with a window, my own conference room, a little kitchenette and lots and lots of file cabinets.  I was the Director of Human Resources for a continuing care retirement community.  My main job really was to manage files. 

I should have been happy with this fabulous opportunity and the future that it could create.  On the contrary, I started becoming less and less happy.  I am a people person and managing files all day long, day after day was like a prison sentence. 

Thus, during my own time, I asked the activity directors if I could play some flute music for the residents.  I missed working with the senior residents like I did with the job before the prison-sentence job.  The answer was a very enthusiastic YES!

It was Christmas season, and I was sad, as this was a year that my children's father had our daughters for Christmas Eve.  It was even more sad to see some of the residents with no visitors on Christmas Eve. 

I played Christmas songs at dinner on Christmas Eve for the residents who had no family coming to visit them. Many of the residents starting singing and I played for over an hour.  The plan was to play for 20 minutes!  I felt joyous and they felt joyous!  I did the same thing on Valentine's Day.  One resident who was non-communicative and obviously showed no pleasure from any activity raised her head and sang to all the Elvis songs (well it was two Elvis songs) that I played on my flute.  The familiar music triggered an enjoyable memory for her.  I cleaned my flute and replayed for my "fans" both Elvis songs and all the verses so this lady could "sing her heart out" on Valentine's Day.

These residents' reactions triggered me to do a little more research. I discovered the Music and Memory Organization.  I wanted my current employer to try this program, but it deviated from my focus to manage files.  I left corporate America in April of 2015 and joined Psalms Home Care Consulting so I could make a hands-on difference to the aging population.  Not only am I the Administrator, sometimes I get to be a caregiver, and many times I have opportunity to provide therapeutic music activities.  In September of 2016, I created a music program called "Gospel To Go," and there are locations that are pleased to invite me to provide music for their residents who could use an enjoyable activity.

Psalms Home Care Consulting and Psalms Senior Care Homes became certified through the Music and Memory Organization with Seniors in Motion of Denton, TX in November of 2015.  Jean Seward, the Founder and Owner of Seniors in Motion is on the Psalms Home Care Advisory Board.  The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services funded 135 nursing homes to become certified and implement the Music and Memory Program in 2015-2016.  There is evidence to show that personalized music is reducing the use of psychotropic medications and reducing falls--two quality indicators that are heavily surveyed in nursing homes by the state.

The remarkable documentary, Alive Inside, follows the founder of The Music and Memory Organization, and this award winning film is now available on Netflix.  More information can be found on the website:  www.musicandmemory.org.

Please Ask Katrina about how you can provide Music and Memory to your loved one who lives at home or in a community that does not offer the Music and Memory Organization tools.  You may also Ask Katrina on how you can become a part of this by volunteering or fundraising or on how you can book a Gospel to Go program.

No comments:

Post a Comment