Sunday, September 25, 2016

Elderly Client Did Not Realize He Was A Veteran

I've recently been asked to make recommendations for an individual with limited resources on where to affordably live and remain active.

Originally, when we assessed him over 6 months ago, we were told that he was not a Veteran and therefore, we did not provide a resource for possible Veteran's assistance.

David (not his real name) raised a wonderful family and was a very loyal and devout husband and father.  He took wonderful care of his second wife who died from complications of Alzheimer's.  He visited her every day in the nursing home and brought joy not only to her, but to the other residents and staff.  He brought his therapy dog every day and the dog wore a little vest filled with treats for everyone to enjoy.

David receives two hours per day Monday through Friday for companionship and transportation services through Psalms Home Care Consulting.  The companionship services and transportation are really "on foot", and I provide those services--I am walking each day with this client.  He is effectively my personal trainer to help me get in better shape.  If he walks on his own, he stumbles sometimes and forgets to drink water and gets lost as he has some dementia.

We were walking recently and David would stop at every flag in the neighborhood and salute.  I commented how nice that was and very respectful to our country and to our veterans.  I then asked him if he had any personal special story or memories when he sees our United States flag. He told me that he learned to salute the flag from the Marines.  I then asked if he was in the military and he said he enlisted when he was 17 but was only in for maybe 4 to 6 months.

I asked David about his experience in the military.  He lightheartedly told me "I enlisted because I liked the uniform and thought it would attract the girls!"  He then became more serious and told me he was honorably discharged due to a hardship.  His father died and his mother did not have any income, so he returned home to take care of his family.  He would have loved to stay in the Marines and he still salutes every flag that he passes by.  He did not think of himself as a "Veteran" as he served a short time.

David meets the initial requirements of 90 days service.  David's son and I will be working with Veterans Home Care to determine possible available resources for this client to help him age with dignity. Psalms Home Care Consulting and Psalms Senior Care Homes both are able to accept payment from the Veteran's Aid and Attendance program.  A spouse of a Veteran may also be eligible.

Ask Katrina if believe you may be eligible for some assistance through the Veteran's Aid and Attendance program and I will give you some resources to contact. 




No comments:

Post a Comment